Monday, January 18, 2010

This Week's Sales
Before You Shop...Help.

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great holiday weekend. We spent the majority of the last few days celebrating my daughter's 2nd birthday with tons of family in town for the event. Then we spent our extra day off cleaning and recuperating!

On a more serious note, the last week has been very emotional for me as accounts of the devastation in Haiti roll in. Many of us, myself included, think little about the frivolous way we spend our money (if it even occurs to us at all that it is, indeed, frivolous.) As I prepared for Lily's party this year, the amount of money I spent on silly, short-lived joys like balloons, disposable paper plates and toys for goodie bags weighed on me. Knowing how many people are dying or deserted, it seems so unfair that I should celebrate- even when it is something so wonderful as my daughter. I've seen images of babies the same age as mine, dead in the streets, and those images stayed with me as I went through my preparations, adding more than an iota of guilt for my gluttonous ways, and making me eternally grateful for all that I have.

When the time came for me to do this weekly sale post, I considered not doing it. When there are so many hurting, what business do I have enabling someone to buy yet another eyeshadow or spend $50 on face cream- even if it is 60% off? For this reason (and many other good ones as well) I'd encourage you to really think hard about all of your purchases over the next few weeks- do you really need it? Shop your stash; is it possible you've forgotten a shade that could work just as well? Then, take the money you'd likely have spent and, instead, make a donation to the Haiti relief find by visiting The American Red Cross online. To make it even easier, you can simply text the message "Haiti" to the number "90999". A $10 donation will automatically be added to your cell phone bill. BTW, most major carriers are waiving text fees for this effort.

If you've already given to Haiti relief, there are plenty of other efforts, here and abroad, that could use your help. Please, do all you can to help.

HauteLook hosts Sonya Dakar on Tuesday, January 19th, followed by LaROCCA on Wednesday.

Gilt Groupe also starts the week a day late on Tuesday when they feature Laura Geller. Next comes Oscar Blandi haircare on Thursday, January 21st.

Rue La La has a first this week when Corioliss Styling Tools hit the sale circuit on Wednesday Jan 20.

Editor's Closet has their Cosmetics and Skincare Sale this Thursday January 21st. If you're not a member at Editor's Closet click here for a personal invite (for all the other sites listed, just follow the link!)

On the menu at The Fairest, check out Kroia, Global Goddess, Air Repair, Pur Minerals, and Diana B.

As always, make sure you're following me on Twitter for the latest updates on many things beauty related, as well as plenty that's not. Sorry to those of you that may have found this post a bit of a downer, but let's face it- life's not always sunshine and lollipops. The sooner we realize that and start living & acting to make this place better for people other than ourselves, the better our lives will be.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...