Friday, April 20, 2012

Product Review:
Likewise Skincare Facial Moisturizer with SPF 50

Sun protection is a vital part of my daytime routine. I am extremely fair, use topical retinol, and take more than one oral medication that causes photosensitivity. That means that just a short time in the sun unprotected can be a bad situation for me.

Since my dry skin makes moisturizer a "can't live without it" product for me also, I find the easiest way to go about giving my skin the protection I need is to kill two birds with one stone. To me a daytime moisturizer that doesn't contain sunscreen doesn't qualify as a daytime moisturizer.

Having said that, sunscreen isn't the only thing I look for in my moisturizer. I'm not sure if it's some type of time/space anomaly, or perhaps the result of a curse related to some piece of vintage jewelry I picked up somewhere (have I ticked off any priestesses lately?) but my age seems to be rapidly advancing, and I'm not fond of the idea. That means that I need a product that will treat and protect my skin from the onslaught of whatever forces cause me to age a whole year in just a few hundred days.

Lucky for me, I was introduced to Likewise Skincare. Developed by board certified dermatologist Dr. Julie Pena, Likewise is only available online and in Dr. Pena's office only. Unless you happen to frequent Dr. Pena's Nashville practice, there's a good chance Likewise has flown under your radar until now, which is a darn shame. Now, a doctor's name on the bottle does not necessarily a good product make, but in this case, Dr. Pena has really shown her expertise in choosing targeted ingredients to create an all-in-one moisturizer.

Likewise Facial Moisturizer is a powerhouse product if ever there was one. One pea sized drop delivers:

  • High-level (SPF 50) broad-spectrum sun protection, which shields burning UVB rays and aging UVA rays. 
  • Antioxidant vitamins C and E to protect against the damaging effects of the environment. Vitamins C and E are network antioxidants; they work together to regenerate and reinforce the action of one another. Both vitamins have also been shown to help neutralize UV damage, boosting the effectiveness of sunscreen.
  • Soy (in the form of genistein), which has proven antioxidant and anti-irritant abilities. Studies have shown that soy stimulates collagen and hyaluronic acid production in the skin, which can lead to an increase in firmness and elasticity. As if that weren't enough, Soy may also provide further UVB protection, and has even shown some promise in lightening dark spots on the skin and reducing hair growth.
  • Niacinamide. If you're not familiar with this wonder ingredient yet, then you're not paying enough attention! Though it sounds too good to be true, there's strong evidence that Niacinamide does everything from improving wrinkles to reducing acne (and tons in between). 
Of course, ingredient lists alone don't sell me on a product- it's all about how they perform. I'm delighted to report that Likewise is a winner. I began using this in January, and was very pleased at how well this moisturized my skin, even when it was at its peeling, cracking driest. 

Despite the high level of protective zinc oxide in the formula, Likewise smooths on easily without leaving behind a white/blue cast or chalky feeling like some sunscreens can. It also soaked in quickly without any filmy feel or greasy finish. For those with oily skin, the company does offer formulas for oily and normal to oily skin (these contain all of the benefits above with the addition of acne-controlling azelaic acid). 


While I wouldn't call Likewise inexpensive (it's $44 for 1.69oz), I would say it's a good value for your money. It's so well formulated it beats down department store options that cost twice as much, not to mention virtually eliminating the need for separate antioxidant or anti-aging serums. It's also concentrated enough that one tube should last upwards of 6 months. In case you can't tell, I'm totally geeked out- if you're looking for a great daily moisturizer, consider Likewise highly recommended!

The product featured in this review was submitted for promotional consideration by a representative of the company. What does this mean? I didn't pay for it. My commitment is to you- my readers- and to myself (it's called integrity, I like to have it). The opinions expressed on Outinapout.com are my own, based on my own research and experience; I am not paid in any way nor is the final outcome of the post influenced by any outside party.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...