Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2012 Fall Beauty Blogger VoxBox


First off, if you're not feeling the "reading" thing today (or you just want to show some love) you can check out my first ever "box opening" video! Let me know what you guys think- I have to say it takes a lot less time to talking it out than it does to write this stuff here, so if you like it, maybe you'll see more of those in the future! Of course, there's always more info to be had, and anything whose performance warrants additional mention will inevitably end up here for a full review or swatch post.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Influenster, let me quickly get you up to speed. In Influentser's own words, they are "a free-to-join community of invited trendsetters who live to give opinions of products and experiences. Influenster creates links between brands and members to reward participation and influence future products".

Basically, you visit the site and request an invite, and then share your thoughts on a multitude of products. It's not just for beauty bloggers either; other categories of interest include Pop Culture, Chowhound, Gamer & more. Influester then partners with brands periodically to create themed "VoxBoxes" that they in turn send out to chosen partners, in this case, I was one. So now, here are my thoughts on the 2012 Fall Beauty Blogger VoxBox!

  • EBoost: $28 for 20 packets
Not my favorite energy beverage, the taste is slightly chalky and the energy boost is pretty non-existent for me, but then, I'm used to the 120-170mg I get out of a packet of Crystal Light Energy or Monster Rehab. I'll drink this packet one night when I'm running on empty later in the day, but don't want to be up until 4am.
  • Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves 1.5oz: $6 for 4oz full-size
I adore Not Your Mother's Beach Babe spray, so I'm excited to try this product. Not Your Mother's looks high-end to me, but at a really reasonable price point!
  • Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin: $7.29 for 2 pins
After using these, I can confirm that they work best on longer or thicker hair. They did hold my hair in place, but since my shoulder-length hair only rolls into a golf-ball sized bun, the pins were visible sticking out on the ends. I would have adored these when my hair was longer though- they're very easy to use, don't pull or snag hair, and hold very securely.
  • NYC New York Color IndividualEyes Compact in Dark Shadows: $4.99
This was my first go with NYC color. At $4.99, it's hard to go wrong. I do think it would have been nice if the compact would have included a matte black rather than the off-black glitter shade that stands as the deepest color in the palette. I also found the two deeper shades in the compact were very similar, and while I liked the pearl-white as a highlighter, the cream illuminator had too much visible sparkle for me to use it as a facial highlighter, if that's the intent. The primer was very similar to NYX's, which is to say it's a good budget option and definitely gave the shades some oomph and staying power. The shadows themselves were pretty soft (lots of fall out) and as such, applied better when pressed on with a fingertip than with a brush. 
  • Bath & Body Works Mini Candle in Pumpkin Cupcake: $3.50 (also included, coupon for $10 3-Wick candle, valid only until October 28, 2012).
Like I said, the scent is a nice, creamy blend of pumpkin spice scents- vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe a little clove. The mini candles themselves are best burned in smaller spaces, like a bathroom, because they don't throw much of their fragrance. I do plan on using the coupon for the 3-Wick, and had I not smelled the French Baguette scent on my last trip, I would definitely consider picking up Pumpkin Cupcake (though this was a limited edition scent, and I'm not sure it's still available in-store anyway!) 
  • Kiss Ever Pro Lashes Starter Kit: $5.99
These are huge, thick caterpillar lashes, almost costume-y and definitely not something I'd wear on a daily basis. Though the shape's not for me, they do feel well put together and seem like they'd hold up well. I'm not a huge fan of any lash applicator aside from my fingers, but this one has an advantage to many in the off-set design. I'll likely stick to my fingers, but those who like applicators may enjoy the clearer view this one provides. Though I love the idea of the wand applicator in the glue, this one just didn't seem to hold as well as my current favorite, Duo.
  • Boots No. 7 Beautiful Skin Cleansing Balm ($8.49 for 5oz full-size) and Night Cream ($13.99 for 1.6oz full-size). 
As I mentioned in my video, there were no ingredients on the packaging or the insert, so of course, I had to look them up! If any one's curious, you can check them out, along with my full review, here.

My initial impressions are that, while basic, both products seemed well-suited to my dry skin. The cleansing balm did a decent job removing makeup, and left my skin very comfortable, which is saying something- 99.9% of cleansers leave my skin feeling tight once I've dried.

The Night Cream was nice as well- not at all greasy, though it did a good job of moistuzing. I think it would be a good choice for someone who wants a well-priced, bare bones moisturizer with a slightly more posh feel than some other drug-store options.

So, have you ever tried any of these products? Did you get an Influenster box this time around? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

The product featured in this review was submitted for promotional consideration by a representative of the company. What does this mean? I didn't pay for it. My commitment is to you- my readers- and to myself (it's called integrity, I like to have it). The opinions expressed on Outinapout.com are my own, based on my own research and experience; I am not paid in any way nor is the final outcome of the post influenced by any outside party.



2 comments:

Marisha Wick said...

Absolutely love your video. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful information with us.

boo said...

I have very thin hair so the Spin Pins are too long for me too, but they do make a mini size which are perfect for me (and they come 3 to a pack instead of just 2, which is great considering how often I misplace my hair accessories)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...